2012年4月13日星期五

Invitation for Research Participation: Online Survey About Titles and the HoM

[:1]Greetings to everyone!

Please accept my apologies if this is a little invasive or presumptuous of me to invite members of this community to participate in my research, but I am eagerly seeking participants for an electronic survey.

I am a postgraduate student at Brunel University in the UK and I am currently undertaking a taught module in "Socio-Cultural Contexts in Digital Games". As part of my assessment, I am writing a paper on the different cultures in Guild Wars and their perception of reward/achievement systems - specifically, titles the Hall of Monuments (based on Nick Yee's, Jonas Smith's and Kunjanpaa's works). While this is not directly related to my thesis, I am using this opportunity to conduct a pilot study in the pursuit of my future research aims. An initial iteration to test the water, as it were.

You can access the survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Culture_GuildWars01

In the pre-test it took 5-15 minutes for the test respondents to complete the survey, depending on how detailed their responses were to the optional free-text questions. A small number of outliers took longer due to the extreme depth of their answers. As it is a pilot study, there is a rather broad range of questions and some intended repetition / randomisation. Those of you familiar with Yee's or Bartle's works may recognise some of the questions - this is simply to help me codify my results based on their models and identify patterns that warrant further investigation.

I take research ethics very seriously and so I have ensured that all of the relevant precautions have been made - anonymity, confidentiality, security, storage and data protection. The data I collect is being used exclusively for my own use in research and will not be disclosed to a third party. Any personal data (such as age, sex, email, etc.) is protected by law in the UK under the 1998 Data Protection Act. No group or individual will be identified in the findings.

Just a disclaimer - I come from an academic background of Computer Science with experience in Systems Analysis, IT and Games Development. This is my first opportunity to apply myself in this particular discipline. Feel free to comment upon and criticise my work as this is largely an exercise for me to improve my skills in social studies and survey research.

I have over 921 hours of experience over a period of 52 months so it is fair to say I am extremely passionate about Guild Wars! I am contemplating conducting a long-term ethnographic/empirical study of Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 next year so if anyone is interested in future participation, please keep in contact with me. It will be deeply appreciated.

Please let me know if you have any comments, concerns, questions or would like to talk about the role of achievements/titles/HoM/etc.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

With Regards,

Michael "Adrir" Scott

IGN: Ibuki Helios, typical GMT+1 (BST) 6.30pm-Onwards.

Email: michael.scott@brunel.ac.uk|||How much will I get paid for this?|||Completed. Interesting survey, good luck with this.|||Filled. Good luck with your study!|||Filled it in, good luck with your thesis!|||Filled one in for you.|||Hey Michael, the question "Are you bothered by mutually exclusive character titles such as "Survivor" and "Legendary Defender of Ascalon"?" is no longer applicable.

Also you can contact me here rather than via an email if you require a follow up interview.

Cheers!

-Art|||Quote:






View Post

Hey Michael, the question "Are you bothered by mutually exclusive character titles such as "Survivor" and "Legendary Defender of Ascalon"?" is no longer applicable.

Also you can contact me here rather than via an email if you require a follow up interview.

Cheers!

-Art




I answered that question as if it were still applicable or would be applicable again in the future|||Done. I hope that helps.|||I filled it in. While I did answer "yes" on the question "is titles part of your play experience in Guild Wars?", I would like to point out that said part of the experience is, to me, a negative one.

没有评论:

发表评论